Dengue hemorrhagic fever prediction in coastal area using geographically weighted regression

Tri Wulandari Kesetyaningsih, Kusbaryanto Kusbaryanto, Prima Widayani


Dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) is still a health problem globally, including in Indonesia. Geographical and climatic conditions in coastal areas are different from other areas, which may impact differences in environmental risk factors for dengue. This study aims to create a prediction model for the incidence of DHF in coastal areas. The research was conducted in Bantul Regency, Indonesia, involving data from 2015-2019. Dengue incidence data were collected from the health office. Climatic data were from climatology station. Data on altitude and shoreline distance were obtained by geographic information system (GIS) processing. Population density and wide settlement area are obtained from the Bureau of Statistics. The geographically weighted regression (GWR) analysis was carried out using GWR4. The results showed that GWR with a weighting of Fixed Bi-Square Kernel obtained an R2 value of 0.7768, better than the global model (R2 0.5254). It indicates that DHF (Y) in Bantul Regency is 77.68% determined by population density (X1), altitude (X2), settlement area (X3), shoreline distance (X4) and rainfall (X5) and the remaining 22.32% are influenced by other variables which are not investigated. Geographically, the predictor variables explain the DHF incidence with a strong category in the central region, and weak in coastal area.

Full Text:




  • There are currently no refbacks.

International Journal of Public Health Science (IJPHS)
p-ISSN: 2252-8806, e-ISSN: 2620-4126

This journal is published by the Intelektual Pustaka Media Utama (IPMU) in collaboration with Institute of Advanced Engineering and Science (IAES).

View IJPHS Stats

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.