Association between knowledge and depression at rising time of COVID-19 in Bangladesh

Sharmin Akhtar, Rubel Ahmed, Arnaba Saha Chaity, Mutasim Billah


Novel coronavirus (nCoV) has created a new challenging situation all over the world. In Bangladesh, people are facing some difficulties to response the emergencies.  There are so many people who are lacking of proper quarantine information and knowledge about prevention practices towards corona virus disease 2019 (COVID-19). COVID-19 has created an experience of mental disorder like depression, anxiety, stress etc. Although social media, newspaper, news, television has focused on this issue, still there is to be needed to identify the psychological effects like negative impact on our mind and behavioral changes during lockdown. An online survey of 248 respondents were conducted between 15 April 2020 and 15 May 2020.  The aim of this study was to assess the relationship between higher knowledge of public regarding safety measures and depression among the adult population of Bangladesh during lockdown. This study focused on correlation between knowledge level and mental health condition like depression. About 50% respondents were felt high depression after the first announcement of lockdown in Bangladesh. Approximately 50% respondents stated that people of their locality were panicked, not panicked were 26.21% and the probability of getting panic were 23.79% due to COVID-19 during lockdown in Bangladesh. The respondents who had gathered a higher knowledge about precautions were associated with depression.


"WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Dashboard",, 2020. [Online]. Available: [Accessed: 21- Nov- 2020].

"Coronavirus COVID-19 Dashboard", 2020. [Online]. Available: [Accessed: 21- Nov- 2020].

D. Roy, S. Tripathy, S. Kar, N. Sharma, S. Verma and V. Kaushal, "Study of knowledge, attitude, anxiety & perceived mental healthcare need in Indian population during COVID-19 pandemic", Asian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 51, p. 102083, 2020. Available: 10.1016/j.ajp.2020.102083.

Y. Bao, Y. Sun, S. Meng, J. Shi and L. Lu, "2019-nCoV epidemic: address mental health care to empower society", The Lancet, vol. 395, no. 10224, pp. e37-e38, 2020. Available: 10.1016/s0140-6736(20)30309-3.

C. Wang et al., "Immediate Psychological Responses and Associated Factors during the Initial Stage of the 2019 Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Epidemic among the General Population in China", International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 17, no. 5, p. 1729, 2020. Available: 10.3390/ijerph17051729.

S. Brooks et al., "The psychological impact of quarantine and how to reduce it: rapid review of the evidence", The Lancet, vol. 395, no. 10227, pp. 912-920, 2020. Available: 10.1016/s0140-6736(20)30460-8.

F. Ornell, J. Schuch, A. Sordi and F. Kessler, "“Pandemic fear” and COVID-19: mental health burden and strategies", Brazilian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 232-235, 2020. Available: 10.1590/1516-4446-2020-0008.

K. Chatterjee and V. Chauhan, "Epidemics, quarantine and mental health", Medical Journal Armed Forces India, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 125-127, 2020. Available: 10.1016/j.mjafi.2020.03.017.

E. Choi, B. Hui and E. Wan, "Depression and Anxiety in Hong Kong during COVID-19", International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 17, no. 10, p. 3740, 2020. Available: 10.3390/ijerph17103740.

A. Zandifar and R. Badrfam, "Iranian mental health during the COVID-19 epidemic", Asian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 51, p. 101990, 2020. Available: 10.1016/j.ajp.2020.101990.

W. Cao et al., "The psychological impact of the COVID-19 epidemic on college students in China", Psychiatry Research, vol. 287, p. 112934, 2020. Available: 10.1016/j.psychres.2020.112934.

D. Banerjee, "The COVID-19 outbreak: Crucial role the psychiatrists can play", Asian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 50, p. 102014, 2020. Available: 10.1016/j.ajp.2020.102014.

J. Gao et al., "Mental health problems and social media exposure during COVID-19 outbreak", PLOS ONE, vol. 15, no. 4, p. e0231924, 2020. Available: 10.1371/journal.pone.0231924 [Accessed 23 November 2020].

L. Kang et al., "The mental health of medical workers in Wuhan, China dealing with the 2019 novel coronavirus", The Lancet Psychiatry, 7(3): e14, 2020. doi:10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30047-X

J. Shigemura, R. Ursano, J. Morganstein, M. Kurosawa and D. Benedek, "Public responses to the novel 2019 coronavirus (2019‐nCoV) in Japan: Mental health consequences and target populations", Psychiatry Clin Neurosci, 74(4): 281-282, 2020.

A. Danese, P. Smith, P. Chitsabesan and B. Dubicka, "Child and adolescent mental health amidst emergencies and disasters", The British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 216, no. 3, pp. 159-162, 2019. Available: 10.1192/bjp.2019.244.

H. Yao et al., “Rethinking online mental health services in China during the COVID-19 epidemic”, Asian journal of psychiatry, vol. 50, 102015, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.ajp.2020.102015

Z. Li et al., “Vicarious traumatization in the general public, members, and non-members of medical teams aiding in COVID-19 control”, Brain Behav Immun, 88:916-919, Aug 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2020.03.007.

M. Pérez-Fuentes et al., "Questionnaire on Perception of Threat from COVID-19", Journal of Clinical Medicine, vol. 9, no. 4, p. 1196, 2020. Available: 10.3390/jcm9041196.

M. Rana et al., "Assessment of knowledge regarding tuberculosis among non-medical university students in Bangladesh: a cross-sectional study", BMC Public Health, vol. 15, no. 1, 2015. Available: 10.1186/s12889-015-2071-0 [Accessed 23 November 2020].

M. Pérez-Fuentes, I. Herera-Peco, M. Molero Jurado, N. Oropesa Ruiz, D. Ayuso-Murillo and J. Gázquez Linares, "The Development and Validation of the Healthcare Professional Humanization Scale (HUMAS) for Nursing", International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 16, no. 20, p. 3999, 2019. Available: 10.3390/ijerph16203999 [Accessed 23 November 2020].

A. Beck, A. Weissman, D. Lester and L. Trexler, "The measurement of pessimism: The Hopelessness Scale", Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 42(6): 861-865, 1974. 2020.

L. Hawryluck, W. Gold, S. Robinson, S. Pogorski, S. Galea and R. Styra, "SARS Control and Psychological Effects of Quarantine, Toronto, Canada", Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1206-1212, 2004. Available: 10.3201/eid1007.030703 [Accessed 23 November 2020].

M. A. Cava, et al., “The experience of quarantine for individuals affected by SARS in Toronto”, Publ Health Nurs, 22(5), 398–406, 2005.

H. Jeong, et al., “Mental health status of people isolated due to Middle East respiratory syndrome”, Epidemiol Health, 38: e2016048, 2016. doi: 10.4178/epih.e2016048

J. Du, et al., “Psychological symptoms among frontline healthcare workers during COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan”, General hospital psychiatry, S0163-8343(20)30045-1, 3 Apr, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2020.03.011

N. Vindegaard and M. E. Benros, “COVID-19 pandemic and mental health consequences: Systematic review of the current evidence”, Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, Vol. 89, pp 531-542, ISSN 0889-1591, 2020.

A. M. Moghanibashi, “Assessing the anxiety level of Iranian general population during COVID-19 outbreak”, Asian Journal of Psychiatry, Vol 51, 102076, Jun 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.ajp.2020.102076.

Y. Wang, Y. Di, J. Ye, and W. Wei, “Study on the public psychological states and its related factors during the outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in some regions of China”, Psychol Health Med, 30:1–10, 2020. DOI: 10.1080/13548506.2020.1746817

F. Caliskan and B. Dost, “The Evaluation of Knowledge, Attitudes, Depression and Anxiety Levels among Emergency Physicians during the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Signa Vitae, Vol.16(1), pp.163-171, 2020. doi:10.22514/sv.2020.16.0022.

Y. Lv, Z. Zhang, W. Zeng, J. Li, X. Wang and G. Hailong LUO, "Anxiety and Depression Survey of Chinese Medical Staff Before and During COVID-19 Defense", The Lancet, 2020. Available at SSRN: [Accessed 23 November 2020].

HF. Hull, “SARS control and psychological effects of quarantine, Toronto, Canada”, Emerg Infect Dis, Vol.11(2):354; author reply 354-5, Feb, 2005. doi: 10.3201/eid1102.040760.

FJGD. Silva Junior, et al., “Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on mental health of young people and adults: a systematic review protocol of observational studies”, BMJ open, vol. 10, 7 e039426, 1 Jul, 2020. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2020-039426

G.J. Rubin, R. Amlôt, L. Page and S. Wessely, “Public perceptions, anxiety, and behavior change in relation to the swine flu outbreak: cross sectional telephone survey”, BMJ, 339(2, 3): b2651, 2009. DOI:10.1136/bmj. b2651

M. Developer, "Mental Health During Coronavirus: Experts for avoiding ove...",, 2020. [Online]. Available: [Accessed: 23- Nov- 2020].

Y. Zhang and ZF. Ma, “Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on mental health and quality of life among local residents in Liaoning Province, China: a cross-sectional study”, Int J Environ Res Public Health, 17(7):2381, 2020.

S. Liu et al., "Online mental health services in China during the COVID-19 outbreak", The Lancet Psychiatry, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. E17-E18, 2020. Available: [Accessed 23 November 2020].

G. Asmundson and S. Taylor, “Corona phobia: fear and the 2019-nCoV outbreak”, J. Anxiety Disorder, 70: 102196, 2020a. doi: 10.1016/j.janxdis.2020.102196

G. Asmundson and S. Taylor, “How health anxiety influences responses to viral outbreaks like COVID-19: what all decision-makers, health authorities, and health care professionals need to know”, J. Anxiety Disorder, 71:102211, 2020b. doi: 10.1016/j.janxdis.2020.102211

Total views : 9 times


  • There are currently no refbacks.

International Journal of Public Health Science (IJPHS)
p-ISSN: 2252-8806, e-ISSN: 2620-4126

View IJPHS Stats

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.